Saturday, March 17, 2018

Do I Need Permit To Apply Pesticide To Dry Waterbody?

FAQ: Do I Need An NPDES Permit To Apply Pesticide That Is Not Approved For Water Application?

Possibly. According to US EPA, some pesticide labels refer to “water” and not “waters of the United States.” It is possible that some pesticide products that are not approved for use in “water” may result in discharges to waters of the United States.

For example, waters of the United States may be dry at the time of pesticide application, and there may be situations where pesticides are applied to temporarily dry waterbodies using pesticides labeled for terrestrial or seasonally-dry use. The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit requirements apply regardless of whether the waters of the United States are wet or dry at the time of the discharge.

Caltha LLP | Your Water Quality Standards 
and Permit Limits Partner

FAQ: What Is "Residual Designation Authority"?

FAQ: What is EPA's Residual Designation Authority?

EPA can use its "residual designation" authority under 40 CFR 122.26(a)(9)(i)(C) and (D) to require NPDES permits for stormwater discharges or other category of discharges on a case-by-case basis when it determines that:
  • the discharges contribute to a violation of water quality standards,,
  • are a significant contributor of pollutant to federally protected surface waters, or
  • controls are needed for the discharge based on wasteload allocations that are part of "total maximum daily loads" (TMDLs) that address the pollutant(s) of concern.

Industrial Waste Discharge To Storm Sewer Identified During SWPPP inspection
Industrial Waste Discharge To Storm Sewer

Caltha LLP provides expert consulting services to public and private sector clients nationwide to address water quality standards, wastewater permitting and assessing potential impacts of chemicals in the aquatic environment.
Caltha LLP Aquatic Toxicology / WQ Standards Services Website